Follow by Email

Monday, October 27, 2014

Some Thoughts Today

Very recently, I have become aware (physically aware) of the cross I trace over my body each time I make the Sign of the Cross.  Several months ago I began to make a conscious, mental effort to make the Sign of the Cross slowly and purposefully, considering each time that I am signing myself with The Cross.  And now I am physically aware of that sign being present each time I make it.




This morning, the words which I pray daily: "Lord, open my lips," hit me.  This is what I have been asking, that people do not see me but rather see through me to Christ; that when I speak, I speak words that come from the Lord.  And here it has been, in prayer each day ... why have I only noticed it today?




Today's Gospel spoke of the woman cured by Jesus, who had been 18 years "crippled by a spirit;
she was bent over, completely incapable of standing erect."  Isn't that what sin does to us?  It cripples us, and we are unable to stand erect until we accept the healing offered to us (absolution in sacramental confession)?  I was certainly "crippled by a spirit" during the 20 years I turned away from God.  I can only stand erect now by and through His Grace. 



No comments: