Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Adult Faith Formation, Last Night

We just spent the last two months reading through, studying, and discussing Sacrosanctum Concilium; it seemed appropriate to spend some time away from the more scholarly pursuits. 

So I picked up a copy of Dominican Romanus Cessario's The Seven Last Words of Jesus.  I had planned to move through 2 or 3 last night, and finish up next week in anticipation of Good Friday.  Well, we only got halfway through the first word: "Father, forgive them, they know not what they do." 

We spent much time on forgiveness, sin, confession. I brought in imagery and themes from Sunday's Gospel (the raising of Lazarus) and Monday's Gospel (the forgiveness of the adulteress woman).   Forgiveness seems to be a topic that always brings up a lot of questions.  It is a topic people really desire to understand and know more about.  Luckily, I have much experience with forgiveness, and am finally at a point in my life where I am not constrained in talking about it.  My experiences with forgiving the man who sexually abused me and my struggle with forgiving myself seem to help people understand that forgiveness is possible.

But what has been most amazing is watching this group, and how they have grown and changed and slowly started on a steady path toward holiness.  It is beautiful.  The wisdom that comes from their mouths never ceases to amaze me.  They ask the most wonderful questions! 

May the Holy Spirit continue to work in their lives, as they grow in their faith.  And may I continue to be open to His promptings as I guide them - remembering always that it is not me, but God working through me.

(Oh, and the book is quite excellent as a meditation starter - or discussion starter!)

1 comment:

Supertradmum said...

Good post and interesting. Thanks.