Friday, March 22, 2013

Infused Contemplation

"Prayer, contemplation, infused:  an infused supernatural gift, that originates completely outside of our will or ability in God, by which a person becomes freely absorbed in God producing a real awareness, desire and love for Him.  This often gentle or delightful encounter can yield special insights into things of the spirit and results in a deeper and tangible desire to love God and neighbor in thought, word and deed.  It is important to note that infused contemplation is a state that can be prepared for, but cannot in any way be produced by the will or desire of a person through methods or ascetical practices (Author)."     Navigating the Interior Life, Daniel Burke

Before this dark night descended upon me, this state of infused contemplation was a fairly regular occurrence.  "Delightful" is certainly a good word to describe it.  I will admit I have missed these times, so when yesterday morning I found myself quite unexpectedly in this contemplation I felt as though I were glowing.  These rare moments seem to come only when I am un-self-conscious and have for a brief moment abandoned myself to Divine Providence.  "I Want to Be Home" is a result of this brief time spent in infused contemplation, and is a very poor representation of what I actually thought /felt for that moment.  Words are unable to express such things with any precision.

No comments: