Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest

We went up this past weekend to the "mountains", probably our last opportunity before it starts to snow.  It was warm!  74 down at the ranger station and probably about 10 degrees cooler up top.  We have had a warm, dry September and lots of people were on the road doing the same thing we were doing.  But as is usual, once we parked and hit a trail, the people thinned out and we were pretty much on our own. 

I really miss serious hiking, since all we've done in the past few years have been simple walks.  I long for the day when I can put my Alice Pack on (yeah, I know - old fashioned me: external frame, army surplus - but hey, it works!), strap on a tent and a couple days' worth of provisions and just go.  Into the wilderness.  Into silence.  Into some time alone. Just me and the bears - well, OK, I can live without the bears!!

Well, here are some pictures.  I'm not going to label them, but the big snow-covered mountain is Mount Baker, which is an active, glaciated stratovolcano.  Pretty neat!






































We were a couple weeks early for fall colors, but unexpectedly came upon wildflowers in bloom.  Hope you enjoy the photos!  Have a great week.

No comments: